Thursday, June 2, 2011

Trinken Sie Mit Mir!


I have not forgotten about my story, I will definitely get to it very shortly, but just having spent 11 wonderful days in Germany I feel inspired to share my memories of a country and a lifestyle that I love and dream of living in. I was there from May 20-31. I visited parts of Southern/Southwest Germany, Switzerland, and Luxembourg.

Day 1:

I arrived in Munich, Germany on Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 8:45am. I made my way through the airport to customs where I received my very first European stamp on my passport. Bucket list to-do, check! I followed the maze to gate G, where I would be boarding my final flight to my destination, Stuttgart. I found a seat at a little café near my gate, purchased a glass of milk, pulled out my laptop, ate my Lucky Charms and silently rocked out to a little MJ playing on the airport radio. Let’s just stamp AMERICAN on my forehead at this point. It’s 10am and every single person in that café has a bier in their hand. I love Germany already. Naturally, the fact that other people are drinking at 10am gives me the green light to go ahead and have my first taste of German bier. AMAZING. And no, it is not warm. It is not served in the frosty glass the way Americans prefer, but it is by no means warm. But I do believe it really is stronger than American beers and I am grateful that I only had one because my next flight required me to walk down three flights of stairs with my carry-on (weighing a solid 20 lbs) and purse and take a shuttle to our much smaller prop plane where we boarded from the tarmac. I am instantly attracted to this country. I want to know everything about it: the culture, the language, etc. I may have to live here one day. Let’s see if I can still say that after 11 days of traveling.

I have now landed in Stuttgart and couldn’t be more excited…that is until I see everyone’s luggage come through one by one and before I know it I am the only one standing at the baggage carousel and there is no more luggage making its way around. WORST NIGHTMARE EVER, especially when you’re overseas for an 11-day vacay. The guy at Lufthansa believes it never made it out of the states and US Airways claims it was checked in and put on the plane in Philly. All I have to say at this point is somebody better figure it out and quick! I had my wardrobe laid out for each day and this whole relying on rotating between two outfits for each day and night for however many days isn’t going to fly on my most anticipated vacay!

I guess missing luggage = shopping trip. We head downtown to the Schlossplatz. The airline has a reimbursement policy: 100% refund on any underwear and toiletries and 50% refund on any clothes purchased. You better believe I am mailing those receipts in as soon as I land on American soil J My goal is to eat nothing familiar to me on this trip. I will try all sorts of German, Bavarian, and Swabian dishes. My first shot…SUCCESS. I picked maultchausen (ravioli…German-style) It was mouth-watering. Second goal: I will only drink German bier and always a different kind. (ok so I caved and had some Newcastle at the Irish pub, but they don't have any German bier so what else was I supposed to do?) I’m on number my two German bier and completely satisfied with both. Interesting observation: German dishes are clearly not laden with vegetables, unless it’s a salad. Meals are meat and potatoes style and largely portioned. If meat is not your thing, Germany might not be a good vacay spot for you. And the bier does not come in LIGHT. It’s heavy, it’s rich and it’s superb! Surprisingly enough, Germans are not obese. I have not witnessed a large percentage of overweight Germans. Can I have their genes?

Final stop on this first day in Germany. A beach club bar on top of an old parking garage in downtown Stuttgart. Literally...it's a beach, covered in sand, lounge chairs, and hammocks. On to my third German bier for the day, Radler. It's a lemonade bier and the only German bier I am not a fan of. As I relax in a lounge chair with my Radler I noticed a wood box made to be a table with the words "Carpe Diem" on it. Oh yes, couldn't be more fitting...Carpe Diem and bier indeed. The stage is set for the rest of the vacay....

No comments:

Post a Comment