Friday, June 3, 2011

Heim des eines Litersbiers

("Work will set you free")



Day 6

München!!! 9am and we are off for the 2-hour car ride to the fabulous city! Word to the wise: if you are not a confident driver and have never experienced Bay Area driving, please do not attempt to drive on the autobahn and PLEASE do not attempt to think you can get away with the high speeds that the Germans can handle. I will say that I honestly did not think I was going to make it to see München. I believe we had a total of 6 near collisions, one which even resulted in us skidding. We passed a student driver and through the window I was pleading with her to let me ride in her car. Of course my English jibberish means nothing to her. And if skidding wasn't scary enough our very unexperienced driver thought it was be cool to drive 160-180 kph. I put the brakes on that one REAL quick. It really wasn't in my plans to leave Stella motherless.
We finally arrived, in one piece, to the Dachau Concentration Camp. If I remember correctly, this was one of the first concentrations camps to be established. It started out as a prison for lawbreakers and rebels of the political cause. It would later become jam-packed with somewhere around 50-60,000 people, many of them Jewish. As I walk around I can't help but try to fathom what it must have been like there some 70 or so years ago. This quiet memorial place was once bustling with noise, pain, and suffering. It's a really moving experience and if anybody ever gets the chance to visit a concentration camp I would encourage you to do so. It is difficult to put into words all the emotions you experience as you walk through every different part of the camp.
The next destination: München! First things first we have to check out the Hofbräuhaus, München's most famous pub. We order a bier and little did we know we were at die Heim des eines Litersbiers! Holy cow! An entire litre of bier, for me?! Somebody was reading my mind. I finished the whole thing! Next we were off to see city hall, gorgeous and an amazing church...then home we go! Short day in München, definitely no where near enough time to see everything. Guess that means I will have to be going back!
We end our amazing day with a night out in downtown Stuttgart with our new friends Naomi and Michael and we manage to add a German and a guy from the Netherlands to our posse. Perfect ending to a perfect day.


No comments:

Post a Comment